1 Week in -- Cannabis

• I'm a first time grower of cannabis -- and thanks to Gr0w3r for the recipe -- but this is where I'm at 1 week in. I germintaed these outside of the BLOOM unit using the damp paper towel method, although in hindsight I could have started the process in the unit...I just wanted a head start :-). I have a question though -- on the grow tray where the plant is placed...does that tray fill up with water or no? And what do the two vented pipes do to the left of the tray? Thanks!65178e73-bed6-4df8-8a8a-a094cef7f7a0-image.png

• Welcome @DJ and great questions!

The BLOOM uses a "Flood and Drain" system. This means that the system AI will regularly flood the grow tray with the nutrient-rich water and then drain it so that your roots can intake the optimal level of nutrients set by your grow recipe and the water can remain oxygenated.

In regards to the "two vented pumps", I believe you are asking about the irrigation pump. This pump runs the nutrient-rich water up into the grow tray and then back down into the Nutrient Reservoir.

A mixing pump is constantly mixing the nutrient and water solution to maintain the proper nutrient PPM (parts per million) and pH levels that are pre-determined by your grow recipe.

6f698e4a-62ef-42be-a59e-5630825130c7-image.png

• WEEK #2 -- Big Growth!

Still figuring out the App/Bloom unit connectivity in terms of the camera (like where I can find the pictures on the webpage, if that's an option) -- so I took this with my cell -- the UV lights create the 'lines' in the pic:
    week 2.jpg

• Hi @DJ, she's looking good! From my experience, we probably want to top this set of leaves in a day or two, to start creating a lower, bushier plant. For this prune, cannabis works just like this basil image. Trim above the "nodes" and the two nodes will turn into two new branches. Just don't hurt your nodes and you'll be ok (and the plant will survive even if you do).

93b40cab-1e2e-4d08-92cc-7a34d24a0f2a-image.png

• @Gr0w3r Thank you! I'm still waiting to determine the gender of this guy/gal as well. When do you think I'll be able to do that? I'm 16 days in, give or take.

• @DJ It may be hard to see, but if you have a magnifying glass, start looking at the nodes now. You may already be able to tell at this point if it is male or female. You'll know it's a male if you start seeing round sacs on the nodes or if it's a female if you're seeing pre-flowers (tiny hair-like bracts). @I_like_plants can probably give you more detail or help you determine the sex if you're able to get a magnified photo.

• @SpicyPeppers123 nailed it. Post some internode photos when you start to see some development!

• @Gr0w3r Thank you! so I'm look to cut the main stalk, correct?

• @SpicyPeppers123 Does this show you anything?PXL_20210109_192718530.MP.jpg

• @DJ Not seeing any signs of sex yet. Unfortunately, you may have to wait a little longer to tell as it is hard to determine during veg stage. Keep us all posted with new photos and hopefully we'll be able to tell sooner than later.

• And re pruning, you can cut just like in the basil picture above. Above the third set of "true leaves," snip exactly like in the picture.

• Any updates over here @DJ? What stage are you currently in?

• Alrighty -- I haven't posted in a bit as I was waiting for a little maturation of the plant. but the growth is phenomenal! My main question still lies with determining the gender of the plant -- here's a pic of the nodes as of today...any guesses or still too early?1.25.01.jpg

• @dj I don't see any pistils yet so I think it is still a touch early too tell. Have you gone to a 12/12 light cycle yet?

I don't see any stems with a ball which would be an indication it is a male. If I were to guess I think we are seeing the very early calyx of a female plant because those small features don't seem to have a stem and are starting to curl. This could be a very early sign of a female. It still needs more time before you can be sure though. If you start to see pistils, like tiny hairs, emerge from those calyx you can confirm it is a female. Patience for now!

@I_like_plants, what do you think?

cc68acac-5903-4130-badb-09907070ed73-image.png

• @henhennesy Great pic! I don't see any signs of gender yet. Since your now in the bloom phase you should start to see pistols or round sacs emerging soon.

• @i_like_plants do you have a jewel? The calyx areas in pic at 60x or more will show sex. 5B33DF67-391A-41BC-9B73-4E2476E14877.jpeg

Those are ‘nanner’ :(

• @dharma_surfer I do not but have used basic pocket microscope. what is this pic above?

• Hello again! It's just been a couple days but here are another couple pics I'm hoping will be helpful with the 'gender reveal' (we should have a party where we blow something up and it's either pink or blue, eh?). ALSO, and more importantly, my pruning probably hasn't been ideal and it might be too late at this point to rein it back in, but let me know what you think. That's the next step in my learning process here...I wanted to make sure I had a female plant first...if need be I can start over with a cutting. This thing is amazing friends and family (and myself) at this point...I've let it get a bit out of control!Num2.jpg Num3.jpg full plant 1.30.21.jpg

• Meant to tag you:
    @HenHennesy
    @I_like_plants

• Still hard to tell but the growth looks great! I would scout the whole plant for pistols. Some times they appear in certain parts of the plants and not others when they first begin to emerge.